To make the quinoa:
• 1 cup quinoa, soaked in water for 5 minutes
• 2 cups stock
• Handful of mushrooms, chopped
• 1 small tomato or pepper, chopped
• 1 cup zucchini, shredded
• 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
• Handful of fresh, savory herbs (basil, parsley, cilantro, etc.), chopped
• Sprinkles of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Drain and rinse the quinoa to remove the bitter flavors from the outer coating. Add everything else and bring to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
To make the cakes:
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup bread crumbs
• Cooking oil
Stir the eggs and bread crumbs into the quinoa. Form little cakes about 2 inches across and 1/4 inch thick, and refrigerate for 15 minutes. In a low, wide saucepan, heat a thin layer of oil over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the cakes a couple minutes per side, until the outside is crispy and light golden-brown. Serves 6 to 8.